Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Jackson Update

So this morning Jackson had his second H1N1 shot at a clinic that is close to the hospital. I couldn't help myself because we have been worried since we heard Jackson may have a problem, so I ran over to the hospital and got Jack's lab results from yesterday. I was shocked when I saw that Jack's platelet function is abnormal, his platelets are low and his clotting time is prolonged. I then went up to the NICU so that I could talk with the girls and maybe run his results by a neonatologist. Luckily one of the doctors was there who I knew would tell me what they thought, which was that they didn't think it looked like he had any sort of cancer (which is where our brains took us when we had time to stew on what could be wrong), which was nice to hear. The doctor thought that Jack may have had a virus that was asymptomatic, but that messed up his counts. So I left the hospital feeling a little better but still nervous--I really just wanted to hear what Jackson's Pediatrician thought. Finally, the Pediatrician called today at 12:30 and told me the results (I didn't tell him that I already knew). He said that he believes the results are either due to a virus, or it's possible that Jack has an issue with the Von Willebrand factor in his blood, but the results for that test were not back yet. He reiterated about three times that he did not think that Jackson had cancer...I appreciated that..., and he is now referring us on to a pediatric hematologist/oncologist that comes to Reno from the Oakland Children's Hospital a few days a week. I'm not yet sure how long it will take to get in to see her but hopefully not too long. We could barely sleep last night worrying about him, and can't imagine having to wait weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Look at his healthy little face. He is gonna be fine kids. I love you all.

    ReplyDelete